Smaller areas of cities and new, mostly residential areas on the edge of city.
- Business – Commercial Districts
- “New-towns” –in-town
Greenwich Millenium Village
Greenwich Peninsula is an area of South London, England.The first Millennium Village is an example scheme in the creation of sustainable new communities. The Village, which is located on the eastern side of Greenwich Peninsula, is being developed by Greenwich Millennium Village Limited. The Village is an ambitious mixed-use development with high levels of design innovation and energy efficiency.
Architects 1997 – 1999: Ralph Erskine Architect and Planner in collaboration with SSARK, Ahlqvist & co and HTA
Architects 2000 – : Erskine Toavatt, later Toavatt Architects and Planners
No. of units: 2.520
No. of parking: 1.500
Commercial and retail: 5000 sqm
Site area: 30 hectare
Building costs: £300.000.000
The Masterplan was created by Ralph Erskine.Erskine’s vision for the Village is to create a vibrant new community that works for people and where the pedestrian has priority over the car. In urban design terms, the Village reintroduces the London square to create streets and public spaces that are human, lively, intimate and secure. The Village itself is built around and overlooks an Ecology Park, created by English Partnerships, now the Homes & Communities Agency.
The plan for the peninsula also includes 50 acres (20 hectares) of parkland, an ecology park, a commercial area, housing, and the opening of ultra-modern transport links to central London.
- The Greenwich Millennium Village Materplan on the Greenwich Peninsula presented many key principles to create a mixed sustainable community together with an ecology park.
- The Greenwich Millenium Village model for a walkable mixed use development thinking as a pioneeting example of enviromental
Architects: Broadway Malyan
GMV covers 72 acres of the 300 acre peninsula and is grouped into smaller communities arranged around the Southern Park with its village green, ecology park and newly created lake. Green corridors connect the Village to the River Thames and the rest of Greenwich Peninsula.
At the moment there are 1,095 homes, together with a number of shops and commercial units. When the development is completed it is expected that there will be an additional 1,800 homes alongside commercial space and community facilities.
The mixed-tenure community includes a social and community facilities, including a school and health centre, restaurants, workshops, and a new eco park, as well as other open spaces.
- Greenwich Millennium Village is setting new standards for environmentally sustainable development. Over the lifetime of the project, the aim is to achieve:
- 80% reduction in primary energy consumption
- 50% reduction in embodied energy
- 50% reduction in construction waste
- 30% reduction in water use
- 30% reduction in construction costs
- 25% reduction in project duration (construction time)
- GMV has won over thirty awards including, the Evening Standard New Homes Award (highly commended), the Brick Award for decorative brickwork, the Civic Trust Award and the CABE Building for Life Gold Award.
- Greenwich Millennium Village is being built using advanced technology and adhering to current best practice in the construction industry.
- The UK’s first EcoHomes rating of ‘excellent’, due to its use of energy saving measures, resulting in lower bills for residents. The buildings are being made from materials that are environmentally sustainable. Recycled and locally produced materials are being used whenever possible. By maximising off-site prefabrication and by segregating and recycling materials significant reductions in construction waste are being made.
Greenwich Millenium Village has got neighbourhood and district features
- A variety of dwelling types
- A well-bounded area
- Communal facilities at the core
- Walking distance from the periphery to the core
Greenwich Millenium Village is a successful partnership formed with the London Borough of Greenwich.It has a positive impact on residents and has a high quality external design – elevations, street spaces and green spaces.So people can live high quality live conditions in GMV